“Insanity: Doing the same things over and over, and expecting different results.” ~ Albert Einstein
When it comes to parenting any child, it pays to be proactive. When you’re proactive, you’re more “on top of things” … your decisions are based on knowledge and confidence. When you’re reactive, you’re always dodging bullets. You lack confidence and vision.
When it comes to parenting your ASD child, it’s critical to have skills, and a foundation of knowledge, on which to base your decisions. It doesn’t make life perfect – but it sure feels better than being reactive!
Behaviour is communication….let’s face it.
Truth Bomb: Your child doesn’t enjoy being difficult. He does it for a reason.
What if you were to understand why these challenges exist – and get beneath them?
If you could learn how to prevent them without being a “yes wo-man” and weather storms feeling confident in your actions while leaving you to feel like a more effective parent, would you do that? You can… yes, YOU!
The secret to successfully parenting your ASD child lies in understanding “what’s missing developmentally” for your child.
Many parents seek help for their child’s behaviours and trust in the therapist to help the child. That is great. However, as parents, we need guidance as well on the home-front, after all we live with our kids 24/7. It’s important for you as a parent to know that your child has missing pieces of development… literally.
In part, that’s why autism is referred to a “neuro-developmental” disability. This is why we have such difficulty. You don’t know what you don’t know.
Here are some of the benefits of learning to parent your ASD Child in a proactive manner vs a reactive one:
- Understand the reasons why parenting an ASD child is so challenging
- Understand that it’s not your fault
- Feel understood and valued as a parent
- Put an end to isolation and justifying your child’s behaviour
- improved compliance
- Enable your child to experience real competence (not to be mistaken for control!)
- Reduce your stress and frustration
- Learn how to justify self-care, and feel great about it!
- Turn challenges into learning opportunities for your child
- Shift your attitude from “can’t and won’t; to can and will”
- Understand and shift difficult behaviour vs. trying to “will them” to stop
- Learn where “the edge of your child’s competence” is, and how to use it
- Manage transitions effectively
- Learn to respond instead of react!
- Minimize difficulty at gatherings and events
- Learn to stretch your child’s thinking
- Spot and use the right moments to build your child’s resilience
- Connect with yourself (WHO??!!)
- Learn to love yourself instead of feeling like a “failed parent”.
- Learn to be Mindful in your approach
- learn how NOT to get caught in power struggles
- Say less; accomplish more
- Decrease dependency on prompts
- Enjoy time with your child!
- Experience the he JOY of parenting your ASD child.
There are more, but for the sake of brevity, I’ll stop there.
Motivated? Great!! Had enough insanity? Good. Let’s get to that better place together! Check out my 8 week online ASD Mom’s Coaching Program – “Lemons to Lemonade Better Behaviour Bootcamp”. Check it out here and let’s book a free Discovery call to get acquainted and ask your questions about the program.
Oops – forgot to mention – all of the strategies you’ll learn are ideal for typical kids too!
Learn more about Better Behaviour Bootcamp for mom’s with ASD children
Get a copy of the eguide: “Making Sense of Autism and Difficult Behaviour”
Join our online community for Mom’s of ASD Kids!
Like our Facebook Page and watch me each Thurs at 2 pm for LIVE Facebook Episodes of “To the Spectrum and Beyond!” where I tackle topics around Autism filled with learning and tips.